Friday, August 23, 2024

Give them a car to use, they'll take it and think it's theirs


My daughter got her provisional driver's license today. And it was a great celebration! Yay!

But tonight, my husband and I put together a list of sensible rules for using the car, and sat down to go over them with her.

The first one confirms that this car she is allowed to use is not hers. It was paid for by me, and it will not be referred to as her car, by her or by us. It has a name, "The Chariot," and that is the only name it will be called, to avoid anyone misinterpreting its ownership. I bought this car. I even had to put a new engine into it, thanks to her older brother's negligence. And it remains available for her to use in good health. But it is not hers. 

As we sat to go over these rules, I had expected that this would be fine, and we could go on. But no. She got snarky. And that is a deal breaker. 

You want the privilege of using a car? Follow rule #1. Say okay, and we will move on to the other rules, such as keeping it clean, keeping gas in it, etc. 

But we never go that far. So, now we wait a day to see if she is able to have this conversation tomorrow. 

Seventeen year olds are developmental toddlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment