Monday, November 7, 2016

I voted but I'm still sad.

I voted early. For her. And, it did feel empowering to vote, what with all of the craziness undulating across my Facebook feed.

But, I'm still not really happy, really.



Whenever I see a video of Bernie Sanders doing something right - like standing up at Standing Rock, or speaking in support of women, education, health care, human rights, you know, stuff like that, I want him as president.

Voting for HRC was ok, it was, but it wasn't awesome like voting for Bernie would have felt. And also, I think if Bernie had the nomination, this election would already be a done deal. Like, landslide done deal. The high level of anxiety in this country would have been replaced by a profound sense of relief from people who are sane, rational, and want this country to be a good example for our kids, let alone ourselves.

This morning, I saw a video of Bernie speaking, and I actually teared up. The feeling of loss is palpable.

I do hope Hillary wins. Of course. Because Trump - just no. That would be horrible for the US in every possible way.

I have no way of understanding those who would vote for him in light of ... everything. Seriously. There is no comparison. I have to conclude that people are seriously fucked up stupid. And that's really weird considering that some of my high school friends are fanatic about wanting him. I can't understand it, I don't understand it, and I don't even want to. I'm ignoring them until after the election rather than dismiss them as friends.

So, yeah, I'm sure Hillary would do fine. She would keep the country livable. There might not be any sweeping changes, big reforms, or even hope for them like if Bernie had been elected. And that is what is hard, really. But, I'll settle for livable.

Sure sucks to settle when I see a glimpse of what could have been.

And that's rubbing me wrong today.

No comments:

Post a Comment